Friday, August 6, 2010

Temp apartment

I'm a little behind on this whole blogging thing. I find it difficult to come home from a day of working on my computer at the office just to sit down and blog. But it's a new thing so I need to get used to.

After our 30 hour journey around the Pacific to get here we landed in a relatively simple tropical city. It's amazing here. Everyday I'm excited when I walk to work at 8am in the sunshine and fresh 20 degree winter air. Mid day it gets up to about 28 usually, but I don't notice it right now because I'm in a building. I think it's safe to say that the dry season is as perfect as you can imagine the weather to be. I'm told the wet season is a little less pleasant.

This is a picture from the patio at the Cairns Central Plaza Apartment Hotel complex. I don't know if you notice, but that's the ocean in the background. The first few days that we were here it was kinda rainy and damp. Now it's back to beautiful, but it was a little wet for awhile. 



















The first Saturday that we were here happened to be company cricket night. It's a day when the guys from the office organize a cricket match with a bunch of clients. It was probably 350 times more fun than I expected. We played cricket on a soggy afternoon, drank some delicious Aussie beer, and had a tasty BBQ. It was a great way to meet the guys I work with, as well as the clients I'll work for.

Since getting here we haven't done a lot in the way of sight seeing, aside from walking around the city and the coast. Most critical things have been needing our attention. We opened an account at the local credit union, applied for and got an apartment which we can move into on 20 August, and tomorrow we hope to pick up our Queensland drivers license.

All is going great. Once I get some more pictures on my computer and once we get out there to do more stuff we'll be posting all sorts of stuff in the blog. We'll only put a few select pictures in the blog, to see the whole albums just check out Facebook. Cheers.

Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment